Living in a conservation area

Conservation areas protect the special architectural and historic interest of a place.

They are most likely to affect property owners who want to work on the outside of their building, or any trees on their property.

For people living in conservation areas planning permission is required for various proposed works. These include the demolition of a building or to remove a gate, fence, wall or railing over one metre high next to a highway (including a public footpath or bridleway) or public open space; or more than two metres high elsewhere.

In a conservation area trees are protected and permission is required from the council to cut down, top or lop all but the smallest of trees.

Contact your local planning authority to see if you live in a conservation area.